Sunday, October 7, 2012

Herbal Salves and Parenting Lessons


I have been making salves from my herb infused oils.  The herbal oils have been sitting outside soaking up the sun, for month now.   I made four potions, each with a different herb and carrier oil. I want to investigate their individual personalities.

Autumn is here, and I will not be able to infused oil in the sun until next summer

Blurry suits me.
As this is my first year making salves, I had a few lessons to learn:

-  fill the jar completely with oil, to reduce mold growing on the inside of the jar.

- Dry the herbs 1 day prior to infusing them, in order to remove moisture.

- My beeswax was unfiltered which resulted in a grainy texture  salve scrub. I need to filter the melted beeswax prior to adding it to the oil.

Perhaps it was the full moon, but with all the little feet tucked in bed,  my thrifted double broiler steaming, I became a medieval healer, adding beeswax to oil , and knew the herbs, the oils, and the wax, all had intelligence.
 
 
 
Avocado, the best moisturizing meal ever!
 
 I left my salve samples within easy reach, they are perfectly harmless and can be ingested.

I found  Eva applying the lavender salve to her body.

She had been sick with a high fever the day before.
 
 
 
 

I was secretly honored, as I watched her play with the sweet smelling golden goo.  I relaxed as the goo started dispersing to the mantle, the wooden furniture. I will enjoy the cleaning task of wiping up the salve.  The lovely smell of lavender surrounding us.

A mama couldn't be more pleased, as I learn to trust my child and let her lead. 

I just need to get out of my own way. and keep hanging my laundry outside. A required moment, just to focus on the clothes, the sun outside, the air, the moment, a simple moment, outside, folding laundry.

1 comment:

  1. Just loving that facial treatment Julien decided to give himself....tempting to just lick it off his cute little face! Then there is Eva the professional tester of her Mamas homemade salves....what a delightful treat to be the tester of such goodies. It must be a rewarding adventure learning to create all these wonderful products for your precious family and know the quality of everything you put in them especially the time and love. Such treasures for your treasures!
    Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete