Friday, September 21, 2012

Foraging Friday



 



















Autumn is here.  My instinct to gather wild food is strong:

Now is time to get outside, in nature before the winter comes,
To collect the sun's rays and saturate my body with vitamin D.
To build and straighten my immunity.
Now is the time to forage, identify and collect medicinal plants.



 
 
With Julien in the stroller, my dog on a leash, I explore my neighborhood.  In the stroller I carry gardening gloves, plastic bags, and a hand shovel. 

I have brought home apples, rose hips, thistle leaves (made a lovely tea), mullein  and blackberries.  I discovered this Mullein plant in a parking lot.
  
 
 



















Mullein leaves can be prepared as a tea for bronchial congestion, colds and coughs. The perfect herb to have on hand for the winter cold season. I look forward to working with this herb.

I am also infusing olive oil with the mullein flowers.  Mullein oil is recommended for earaches.

I discovered a rose bush covered with rose hips. Rose hips have a high vitamin C content.  Rose hips can be prepared as tea or a concentrated syrup. Rose hip syrup sweetens our hot tea and even our picky eater Eva will happily swallow a teaspoon daily.

Wishing you abundance on this fall Equinox.





















 
 
 
 








 

4 comments:

  1. Have never heard of mullein before very interesting, I do believe I have seen it growing before though......just thought big weed, little did I know. I think you are becoming an herbalist. So many different treasures on your little foraging walk. It is wonderful to get out into nature and explore, renew and refresh! Love Ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herbalist, I like the sound of that. Tinkering with herbs has been surprisingly a wondrous experience. I am just discovering how potent and profound wayside weeds can be.

      Delete
  2. you are much braver then i! how can you tell its really the herb you are looking for. i would be too nervous about mistaking it for the wrong herb....

    looks like all is well! hope to see all of you soon!

    xoxo, h

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way, Heather, I make sure that I have correctly identified the plant. I will take a portion of the plant home and look it up. Google Image search is a helpful tool.

      Delete